Nurture at Abington Vale
Our Nurture group runs on a Monday and Wednesday at Park Campus and on a Tuesday and Thursday at Stirling Campus. It is a place where children can feel safe and secure and can develop their own individual needs.
Nurture is a small class of pupils that is carefully thought out to create a well balanced and functional group, it is is part of the schoold Inclusion and PSHE provision. Nurture offers children opportunites to re visit early learning skills and to promote and support their social and emotional developement.
There is much research evidence that childrens learning is most effective when they have a sense of emotional wellbeing, good self esteem and a feeling of belonging.
Our Nurture principles are drawn from the work by Marjorie Boxall and exemplififed by 'The Nurture Group Network'
Our principles are
- Children learning is understood developmetally
- The classroom offers a safe base
- All behaviour is communication
- The importance of transition in childrens lives
- Provides lots of opportunities for speaking and listening
- Builds a childs self esteem and confidence
- Builds skills for classroom learning
- Language is a vital means of communication
Our Nurture group aims to boost confidence and self esteem and provides children with skills such as listening, vocabulary, literacy, numeracy, social skills and coping with change.
Here is what some of children have said about Nurture
- "I like to do our feelings, it makes me feel happy"
- "Nurture has helped me to make the right choices in class"
- "Before Nurture I was very quiet, now I use my words"